Oct 25, 2010

The Price of Being Ill

$50. At least, that's what it cost me today.



This was supposed to be a post about another new experience. My boyfriend and I have been wanting to go rock climbing for a while and finally got around to booking it. As we left the evil stomach monster (pictured here)  returned and I was forced to go back home.

There was a bunch of confusion  with the rock climbing place- I was told I'd have to pay the full price anyway, but  after leaving a message for the manager  they only charged me 1/3 of the cost as it was supposed to be. I'm not a big fan of this system where you are forced to pay for canceling late. I get sick or hurt and have to pay for it? (Of course, I know why they do it.)

The price for having an unpredictable illness is high. Money, time, and stress are lost. It hurts more than just physically. Eventually the feeling of not having control sets in...you begin to asses things in a much more cautious manner, staying home and only going to familiar locations where you think you can handle your monsters. It can make you look lazy, cowardly, and like a bad friend; but nobody really wants to be stuck at home when they have awesome plans. My particular illness is not that bad, but some days, like today, don't go as planned because of it. Those with life-threatening, debilating sickness are brave souls! I can't imagine spending every day in a hospital and losing everything but still having hope and making it through. That is some kind of strength!

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet and am still having tests done. Honestly, I do not have high hopes that anything will be found. Funny, that sounds like it should be a good thing. If nothing is found, nothing will be done and nothing will get better. I think this is probably a stress thing - a nervous stomach. If that's the case, how do you fix it? Relax, stop worrying? Worry is my middle name! I've taken 'How to stop worrying and start living' off the bookshelf again for starters. Dale Carnegie packs his books with lots of different common sense methods for dealing with life issues, humor, and interviews with fascinating people so it's a good read at least.

It's time to take a look around the internet for advice as well. I'll post my findings in the future.
For now the one thing I need to keep working on is staying positive!


Keep searching,
Laura~She

(Post written October 24)
(Oh, and just so we're clear, that is NOT a picture of me!)

No comments :

Post a Comment